August 3, 2011

Green Reads: Summer List

I learned how to read when I was 5 years old, before I even went to school, and though these days my reading material consists mostly of school-related books, I still consider myself a bookworm at heart. I love browsing through endless shelves of books - real or virtual - in search of the next title. Literature is what I love most and classics are undoubtedly my favourites, but I also like reading about the real-life issues that preoccupy and interest me. Sure, there is a lot of information on the Internet, but I still think that books are far superior in terms of information reliability.

Along with a few literature classics, these are the eco-minded books on my summer reading list:


This was the book that ignited my passion for the environment. It is a really good book that describes much of the environmental damage that our planet has suffered, and "paints a picture" to which I believe no reader can remain indifferent. Unlike many such books though, the author ends on a positive note, with a rather substantial chapter about potential solutions and ways to help, that leaves one motivated and ready for action.


The worldwide water crisis is one of the main environmental issues that I’m concerned with, and this book is part of the reason why. After reading only a couple of chapters for a school project and much later picking it up from a used book store, I am looking forward to reading it carefully and getting a real sense of the magnitude of the problem - as well as, hopefully, a better idea of how to help improve the situation.


After The Green Beauty Guide and Eco-Beautiful, this book seemed like a great next choice from the area of green beauty - something that I’ve taken quite a bit of interest in during the past few years. About halfway through it, I’m enjoying the accessible writing and the motivating and informative content. The author almost seems like a big sister who wants to share her knowledge with her readers so that we too can be on top of our skincare. She takes into consideration all ages and skin problems, and her advice goes beyond beauty products when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle.

• Photographs via Tower Books (1 & 2) and Amazon 

Disclaimer: Amazon Afilliates links have been used in this post; in other words, if any product is purchased after following these links, I will be compensated with a small percentage of the sale value (& will be very happy and grateful).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...