September 17, 2010

Back to Bedrock

photographs via thedailygreen

As soon as I saw these pictures of  some cave houses on my favourite "green" website, The Daily Green (I talked about it here), my mind flew to the most famous Stone-Age family: The Flintstones. Looking through the pictures, I couldn't help seeing similarities to Fred and Wilma's house.

photographs via fanpop

 However, it is not just the design factor that contributes to their appeal, but also their functionality. Being carved in stone, and generally located in remote places that often have water sources nearby, the inhabitants of these homes enjoy such perks as no water bills, no heating or cooling expenses, along with low risks of fire or earthquake damage. Surprisingly enough, these houses can be found all over the world, from the desserts of Australia and the sandstones of English towns to the Mediterranean countries as well as such American states as Missouri, Arizona and California.

For more information on these cave homes, check this slideshow.

6 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the Flintstones too! Could you imagine living in a home like that? lol

    Oh, Be sure to enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's crazy! i'd like to stay there one night like a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness that's so cool and funny! I agree with Elle, maybe for a night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I would never want to live here (although, my boyfriend would), but I'd love to stay one night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! it's practically the same place! i can't believe people can live that way...yikes.
    xox alison

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...