September 18, 2013

Spelling Lessons

One evening last week, my mom and I were in the living room each doing something, and from time to time peeking at the TV, which was on HGTV. At some point, an episode of 'Beyond Spelling Manor' - Candy Spelling's three-part show about the apartment she's renovating for herself - came on. Of course, it was interesting to witness the luxury she's indulging in - an indoor rose garden! - but something else caught our attention even more.

By the end, my mom pointed out to me how Candy always considers everything and anything before accepting or refusing it, and she never says "no" right away. I think that's such a rare find in any person these days, to be so open minded and accepting, that it took me by surprise.

 • The apartment buildingImage via Hooked on Houses 

Even more, during the episode in which she looks at New York City apartments, she constantly 'oohs and 'aahs' over things like a soaking tub or what she says is the biggest room - or even drawer! - that she's ever seen. To be honest, I don't know much about Candy Spelling - other than being Tori's mom and having lived in the iconic Spelling Manor - but, from watching the show, I've learned that she was very involved in the entire design and building process of her former home. Considering that, and the fact that she's lived quite a privileged life, I'm convinced that she has, in fact, seen a lot in her life, big rooms and drawers included. To have seen and done so much, and still genuinely delight in the little things, I thought it was something really special and truly admirable - the signs of a curious spirit, and without a doubt the right attitude to have in life.

• Candy's new library / Image via The Hollywood Reporter 

So I want to remember and learn from all this that, no matter where life takes me, I will never have 'seen it all' or 'done it all'. This life and this world will always have so much more to show me and to teach me, as long as I keep my spirit open and curious.

2 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring! I love this. I love hat even after seeing something that can seem so menial time and time again, you can still find joy in that object. This is such a great attitude I hope I can always remember. Thanks for sharing this :)

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! It really caught me by surprise and has been on my mind since - in a good way - so I had to write about it. Glad to know you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...