In hopes of switching from my disposable plastic bottle - which, even though I use multiple times to reduce the impact on the environment, is leaking chemicals into my water, making it unsafe for my own health - I went on an online search for the right bottle, and in the process I've learned about the benefits and downsides of each category.
The compound that leaks into the water and has undesirable consequences for our health has been taken out of the composition of these bottles, making them much safer. However, despite their great design, these might not be enough of a departure from the disposable bottles for me. After all, plastics are much harder to recycle than other materials.
1. Kor One Hydration Vessel in Ice Blue - 750mL, $29.95
These bottles seem to dominate the market, since they are quite cheap to produce and durable. However, they often give a metallic aftertaste to the water or have plastic inner linings, thus going against the concept of a healthier drink that they are promoting. That being said, it looks like companies are taking note and coming out with designs that overcome these hurdles, and the 3 bottles below are such examples.
4. Sigg Taj Mahal Violet 1L Bottle, $24.99
5. Laken Water Bottle in Sport Red - 750mL, $30
6. Gaiam Tree of Life Aluminum Water Bottle - 750mL, $9.98
Many companies - and consumers for that matter - are choosing this option since it combines both durability and practicality, while keeping the neutral taste of water.
7. Klean Kanteen 27oz Classic in Commuter Orange, $19.95
8. Ecousable Trees & Birds Stainless Steel Water Bottle - 16oz, $14.99
9. Rainforest Bottles Fashion 750mL Water Bottle in Red Swirls
10. Watergeeks Filtered Stainless Bottle - 24oz, $24.99
11. Camelbak Stainless Steel Better Bottle in Blue - 24oz, $30
A major downside of these bottles is the fact that they can easily break. Then again, considering that many other drinks such as iced tea and juice come in glass bottles too, these might not be such a big risk. Besides, many companies are working on new designs to make them more durable.
15. Bamboo Bottle The Bamboo Original Bottle - 17oz, $25 (pre-order)