October 6, 2017

Encouragement to Self

We talk a lot about how easy it is to compare ourselves to each other these days, and we're aware of its negative effects on us and yet, no matter how hard we try not to, we still end up playing the comparison game from time to time, and feeling inadequate. In this online world especially, it's so easy to go from feeling inspired by someone or something to comparing ourselves and our work or lives with them, and feeling like we fall short.

I was journaling this morning and, as I was writing, I realized I had fallen into this trap yet again. What I thought was worrying about my progress towards my goals because of what I was or wasn't doing, actually turned out to be nothing more that comparing myself to someone whose work I've been following for a while, and who I've been particularly inspired by lately. I was worried because, compared to how much I see her doing, I felt like I was doing practically nothing, and definitely not enough if I wanted to reach my goals too.

As I kept writing and uncovering this thought pattern though, I started to see more clearly, and actually ended my journaling session with some encouraging thoughts for myself. I wanted to share them here too, both for my own benefit, so I can come back to them when I start feeling this way again, and for anyone else who is currently feeling like they are not doing enough.



I'd love to know, do you ever catch yourself playing the comparison game? How do you pull yourself out of it when you realize what's actually happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...