July 31, 2020

June 2020 Flower Journal

These days, my camera is filled with photos of all the flowers blooming around our house. I guess after all those months of cold weather, where the predominant colours are white, grey and brown, I just can’t help myself to “stop and smell the roses”.

Towards the end of spring, I actually questioned whether I really needed to take quite as many pictures of flowers, but then I realized how much joy it brings me, and the beautiful moments I remember when I look back on them. So, I figured I could document it here too, along with a few stories behind the pictures that I’d love to remember.


Our two lilac bushes bloomed in late May. They actually caught me completely by surprise with how quickly they grew from tiny green buds to having large flower clusters that were starting to open - we’re talking just one week! Thankfully, they stayed in bloom for quite a bit, and our purple lilac even changed colours towards the end of its blooming period, when it became mostly white (this is its regular colour). I don’t remember having seen it change colour like this before, so I had to capture it.


I almost missed taking pictures of our peonies this year. Thanks to the heatwave that passed through our region in the middle of the month, they bloomed and almost wilted in just a matter of days. Thankfully, I managed to get outside one evening and capture some pictures, but it was hard to stop!


These irises have been in the backyard since before we moved in to this house, and it’s been so fun to watch them bloom every year. Since they’re close to our vegetable containers, these are the flowers I got to enjoy the most this year. Almost every time I went outside to work on or pick something from the garden, I couldn’t help but stop for a few minutes and enjoy looking at and taking pictures of them. 


These tiny dianthus always catch me by surprise. They’re nestled in between all the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths in our front yard flower garden, and it’s such a joy to see them pop up once all the spring bulbs have wilted, but before the peonies and daisies really open up.


This was one of the first lily blooms that opened this year, towards the end of June, and I’m so happy to say that there are still some blooming now, a month later. Also, it’s hard to tell from the pictures but these are reaching up so high, they’re almost taller than me.

--------------------------

Looking back on this little floral journal of last month, I can’t help but notice a theme: with the hot weather and little rain we had throughout the month, so many of these beauties opened up and were gone in a matter of days. It’s such a beautiful reminder to slow down, find a bit of quiet and really enjoy the moment. 

Interestingly enough, as an introvert who needs this sort of break anyway in order to show up at my best (but who also tends not to make room for it enough in my days), this has been a theme showing up in other areas of my life a lot lately too. To notice it in this context only makes it even more meaningful for me. 

Tell me, how is your summer going so far? What are you enjoying most about this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...