December 10, 2015

On My Plate

Over the last few weeks, I snapped a few pictures of the food I made and really enjoyed: some new recipes I tried and some quick meals I put together with leftovers from the fridge. I thought it would be a good idea to record them here as inspiration (for both you and me!) for the future, especially those times when I am hungry and need to eat or make something quickly, but don't know what.


I found this recipe for roasted leeks on Instagram. It's so quick to prepare - wash, cut, season, and pop in the oven - and the whole family loves it. Best of all, I finally know what to do with leeks!


A successful night in the kitchen: my first try at both kale chips and roasted chickpeas, and they both came out very tasty - maybe surprisingly so, since I looked at a few different recipes online, but ended up making my own by combining a little of each.

One afternoon I was craving a quick and healthy treat and out of nowhere remembered this apple almond porridge I used to make a couple of years ago, after seeing the recipe on the Reluctantly Healthy show.

A while ago, I had some very ripe pears that I realized would be perfect to use in a crumble before they went bad. I used this recipe almost exactly, only swapping the berries for pears.

We grew pumpkins in our garden this year, and when it was time to use up the pumpkin puree I made out of them, a pumpkin smoothie bowl topped with a little bee pollen seemed like a good idea. I used this recipe from The Chalkboard as inspiration, but made several adjustments. Although not the best-looking treat, it was certainly yummy; I had it three days in a row and now, several weeks later, I'm still dreaming of it.

For my oatmeal this week, I decided to change things up a bit. First, I made it with hemp milk instead of coconut milk and, after I mixed in all my usual additions (freshly ground walnuts, maple syrup, and cinnamon), I added some pomegranate seeds ('tis the season!) and the sweetest red pear.

One of my favourite guilt-free sweet treats is chia pudding. I make mine with raw cacao powder, liquid stevia, and coconut water instead of milk. On this particular day, I added a sprinkle of goji berries and bee pollen for some extra goodness.

This quick and easy veggie mix got me back on the healthy eating bandwagon a few weeks ago, when I was maybe eating a few too many good-but-no-so-good meals. There are few things easier (or tastier) than roughly chopping some veggies - I have cucumber, bell pepper, avocado and cherry tomatoes here, but the possible combinations really are endless - and sprinkling some salt, nutritional yeast, and an Italian herb mix on top.

Leftover roasted sweet potatoes and scrambled eggs make a complete lunch when mixed in with some greens, bell peppers, cucumber, and olives. Note to self: this is a great example that leftovers can be turned into something more exciting with very little time and effort - perfect for those "hangry" situations when you can't wait long enough to make something from scratch. 

I'd love to know, what are your favourite meals to put together when you're hungry and looking for something quick and easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...