June 1, 2012

Childhood Games


At the risk of sounding cheesy, these days going into the backyard and looking around reminds me of the summer days of my childhood. Back then I would spend the entire day outside playing and having fun, only coming back inside when it was time for lunch or sleeping. I love remembering some of the silly games we used to play, and I now realize how resourceful kids can be, that most of the time they don't need anything else to keep them entertained but their imagination. Though I don't think I'm quite a grown-up yet, I definitely don't get to spend my summers playing outside all day anymore either. So to remember those times, here is one of my favourite games from back then, that I still enjoy now.


All it takes is to grab a grass seed head (there are lots of them around if you forget to cut the grass for a little while, or find a patch of grass somewhere that is not cut regularly!) in between your fingers, try to guess what it will be - hen or rooster - and pull up to see if you were right. You can tell them apart by how big the "comb" is: if it's not noticeable then it's a hen, otherwise it's a rooster.

In some parts of the world, today is Children's Day, so make sure to take some time out of your day to play, have fun, and let out your inner child!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...