February 29, 2012

The Green Academy

Sadly, I found the red carpet of this year's Oscars to be a little underwhelming. To be honest, there weren't any dresses that I really loved, just a few that I liked. What made me much happier was finding out that there were quite a few eco-friendly gowns making their appearance.


Missy Pyle in hand-dyed organic silk Valentina Delfino: From reading Alicia Silverstone's blog, The Kind Life - where Missy occasionally guest posts - I knew that she is on a journey to becoming vegan and living eco-friendly, but I didn't know she took the challenge to the red carpet. I thought her dress was such a breath of fresh air in a sea of colourless gowns.

Natalie Portman in 1954 vintage, reused Christian Dior: Red was a popular colour on the red carpet Sunday, and Natalie's dress was my favourite take on the trend. The cut and print make for such a classic combination and she - a long-time vegan and environmentalist - carried it beautifully.

I have to say that these dresses weren't originally among my favourites, but when finding out that they are eco-friendly, their appeal to me increased significantly!

Livia Firth in custom, recycled PET fabric Valentino: She is the creator of the Green Carpet Challenge, and did a great job of getting many designers on board the project, using eco-friendly options for the gowns they created.

Meryl Streep in custom, eco-certified fabric Lanvin gown: Her speech was one of my favourite moments of the entire show, and she joined Livia in the Green Carpet Challenge with this gold dress.

 All photos via People 

4 comments:

  1. I thought Natalie Portman looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eco friendly? wow! that is really neat. I loved meryl streeep's speech as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I thought Meryl Streep's speech was one of the best moments of the entire show.

      Delete
  3. The vintage dress that Natalie Portman wore was one of my favourites of the night - you can't have more fun being eco-friendly than by wearing vintage, in my humble opinion :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...