January 27, 2012

Clean Fruit

Though I'm not the healthiest eater out there - I'm not the worst either, but my sweet tooth gets me into trouble - I always try to have at least a few servings of fruit each day. I truly think that this habit keeps me healthy and protected from seasonal colds and it's easy to maintain since I have so many favourites; mangoes, apples & cantaloupe are just a few of the ones I eat most often, either on their own or blended in a smoothie. One thing that I don't like is the wax coating that many of them, especially apples, are covered with to look more appealing in grocery store aisles.


One trick that I learned from my mom recently is to wash all the fruits, especially those whose outer skin we eat - with baking soda rather than just water. All it takes is just pouring a little baking soda in your hand, wetting it and then scrubbing the fruit with it. It's important to rinse well afterwards so that there is none left at the end - it has a salty taste. That is it, a quick and simple way to an even more nutritious snack!

6 comments:

  1. Great tip, I always felt just water wasn't enough! Thanks for sharing!

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great idea. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip!

    Follow each other?

    http://fashionandmie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome tips dear. it is very important to clean fruits before eating it.. thanks <3

    http://mithakomala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this tip before, but it actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing, I'll be trying it with my daily apple tomorrow :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a good reminder, especially since apples have wax on them to make them look shinier. Blech.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...